Saturday 18 June 2011

The Tin Lizzy

For her Ruby Wedding anniversay party, my auntie wanted a cake replica of her boat, Tin Lizzy:




So I made one!





I started with a square sponge on a cake board which I covered in blue roll-out icing. I used some surplus bits of icing for the waves, and then used white butter cream icing for wave foam on the crests and around the front of the boat. I used blue buttercream in my icing gun to detail around the base.




For the boat, I baked another square sponge and cut out the shape with a very sharp knife, then covered it in white icing, and a layer of red icing underneath. I used white buttercream to detail the edges, and then grey buttercream to fill in the deck, which I then covered in sugar sprinkles.

The figures of my uncle and auntie are just sugar paste, coloured and moulded into the right shapes, although they came out a bit too pink! Getting too much sun on the boat clearly.

Finally, the sail is just two cookie sticks taped together for the mast (I have no idea what one would use a cookie stick for? I just found them at the Jane Asher shop!) and then rice paper. Easy peasy.


No comments:

Post a Comment