Tuesday 28 February 2012

Knit fast, die warm.

Cat Kelly's knitting cake! Inspired by this design:



This was the finished cake:



I baked two sponge cakes and sandwiched them together with butter cream icing and strawberry jam. Then I carefully carved a little off each side to make the cake oval shaped. I was going to invest in an oval shaped cake tin but the chopping method worked just as well!

I covered the cake in blue sugarpaste to start.  I then mixed up a big batch of butter cream icing, divided it into two and coloured one green and one blue. I used a piping bag with a small nozzle to pipe on the lines of yarn, green first and then blue in between.


Then I cut a rectangle of white sugarpaste which I attached to the middle of the cake, and then wrote "Knit fast, die warm" using my black felt tip food colour pen, then decorated with sugar balls (from cakecraft.com)

Finally, I made some knitting needles out of cookie sticks with a bit of sugarpaste on the end and put them through the cakey ball of yarn, then transferred it onto a silver cake board....


Sadly it got so mashed in transit, but at least I got photos when it was still pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment