Thursday 1 December 2011

Pass that Dutch: Mean Girls cake.

Sebrina Miller has just celebrated her first UK based birthday in SIX YEARS! To celebrate, I made her a Mean Girls cake - one of our favourite and most-quoted movies ever. To put the cake in context, this clip is essential...


She just has a lot of feelings! The challenge was set - I was going to bake a cake full of rainbows and smiles and we would all eat it and be happy. To do this, I mixed up my cake batter and then divided it into five bowls. To those bowls I added red, orange, yellow, green and blue food colour and mixed until it was evenly coloured. I then dropped the mix into lined baking tins; a big blob of red first, followed by orange on top, then yellow, etc, etc. I did the same but reversed (starting with blue) for the other tin. I gave the tins a little shake to even and fill out the tins, then popped them in the oven for 25 minutes.




Voila! Having never tried this before, I had no idea what they would turn out like, but I was excited! Then I decorated...



I covered the cake in pink sugarpaste and then shaped five faces out of flesh coloured sugar paste. I added detail (hair, clothes, spinal support frame, etc) using more sugarpaste that I coloured myself. Karen is wearing her Halloween outfit ("I'm a mouse...d'uh?") Regina is wearing the sabotaged vest that sparks a school fashion craze and Damian is in his disguise, of course! 

I stuck the figures onto the cake surface using edible glue (I found it online, it's awesome!) and then added the speech bubbles, writing the quotes with my (favourite!) food colour felt tip. I went round the speech bubbles using a green icing pen (just to tidy them up) and then made four sugarpaste candy canes, labelled to Glen Coco ("Four for you Glen Coco, you go Glen Coco!")



If you don't recognise the figure on the right, that is OF COURSE Danny Devito....



I took the cake to Birmingham for Seb's birthday meal (it survived the journey, amazingly!) and the nice lady at Waga brought it out. She didn't understand what was going on and thought, upon reading the speech bubbles, that I had made a RACIST CAKE to celebrate a birthday! Quickly set her straight on that one.

When Seb cut into it, it was FULL of rainbows!




Absolutely bonkers. Perhaps not the MOST appetising-looking of cakes, but it tasted good!

Happy Birthday Seb!



1 comment:

  1. BEST BIRTHDAY CAKE EVER!!!!

    I want to see you do a wedding cake next!!!

    ReplyDelete