Thursday 14 July 2011

Dance magic dance!

After the success of Hayl's Jaws cake last year, her birthday cake this year had to be even better! She asked for a Labyrinth cake.



I've never seen it, but know that people go crazy for David Bowie (and his slightly-inappropriate-for-a-kids'-film bulging leggings) and the goblins and the baby and the topsy-turvy stairs and all that jazz, so after a few Youtube vids and Google image searches I created an homage to the Goblin King in baked form...


I made a white chocolate mud cake and then covered it in a caramel ganache made of dulce du leche and white chocolate. I then put halved strawberries around the edge to balance out all the sugary-ness of the topping!



The ganache made the cake SO SLIPPERY, but I made Bowie's face on a piece of greaseproof paper out of sugarpaste - coloured with chestnut for the hair and a mix of red and yellow to make the face - and then added detail with my black icing pen and some bits of fleshy colour sugar paste for the nose and lips. Then I placed the face on top of the caramel topping.


I made Bowie's orb from grey sugarpaste, then added clock numbers (1-13!) around the edge. Finally, I used my black icing pen to make some topsy-turvy stair type patterns in the background, and a Bowie Labyrinth quote from some card and a cocktail stick. Easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment