Friday 15 July 2011

Penguin Flavour Cake Pops

I have wanted to have a bash at making cake pops for a while now, so decided to try yesterday as I had the whole evening free and a charity bake sale on Saturday to bake for. I made penguins, inspired by my trip to London Zoo Lates last month!


I found a recipe on BBC Food, and in a bowl combined cake, melted dark chocolate, mixed nuts and some dessicated coconut. Then I rolled the mix into balls, stuck lolly sticks in, placed them on a baking tray and stuck them in the fridge for an hour to cool. While they were chilling, I melted white chocolate and then added enough black food colour to make it a penguin-y grey colour. Then I took the cake pops out the fridge, dunked them in the chocolate, used a spatula to smooth out the surface and then let them set before adding detail.



I used uncoloured melted white chocolate for the penguin belly, then I coloured a block of sugarpaste orange to make the beak and feet. The eyes are white sugarpaste with lids and eyes drawn on with my new food colour pen I got from Jane Asher - it's awesome!!

Unfortunately, I think I made the cake pops a bit big, as LOADS of them fell off when I dunked! So I have ended up with about 12 pops, and then a small army of penguin cake balls which still look fine, they're just not pops.


So cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment