Thursday 21 April 2011

Dun-dun-dun-dun-da-da-daaaa! (Jaws theme, if it wasn't completely obvious)

My friend Hayl's wanted a shark cake - brilliant cake challenge! One of my favourites, it was so much fun to make. The base is just a sponge iced over with roll out which icing which I dyed blue using normal food colouring (I coloured it by kneading the icing with the colouring until it was evenly distributed) and the shark is another lump of sponge covered in grey butter cream icing (I used a mini spatula to apply it) I cut a triangle in the front which I then filled with pink icing, and the razor sharp teeth are flaked almonds - a bit of a fluke as I happened to have some in my cupboard, but they gave a good final effect! The eyes are small blobs of black icing and then the figure is just sugar paste coloured pink - it was easy to shape as it was so small the arms didn't need supporting as they stayed up on their own.


My friend who I made this for looks like Lily Allen, hence the speech bubbles! As you can see the corner of this one got battered as I tried to take it to work on the tube on this plate under a load of tin foil - not cool. I then discovered the joy that is Lakeland and got myself one of these: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/12870/Cake-Box-with-Lifter YES. Although don't spend too long on the Lakeland website, you will spend all of your money in about ten minutes and convince yourself that you really, really need a cake tin in the shape of a train...when in fact you probably don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment